When the COVID situation permits, license exams are offered at the Klein Volunteer Fire Department Station 3 Meeting Room inside the main building. The facility is located at 9755 Landry Blvd. in the Memorial Chase subdivision. For a map and additional information, see Meeting Location on this website.
Parking is provided adjacent to the main building outside the gate to the left of the flagpole.
- Next test session - Saturday, May 28, 2022
- Doors open at 8:30 A.M.
- Testing will be from 9:00 A.M. until 12:00 P.M.
- Doors close at 12:30 P.M.
- If you have a temperature or feel ill, please do not attempt to attend the session.
- We are allowed a maximum of 25 people in the building at one time. This number includes all applicants plus the VEs.
Please be sure to bring the following items to the exam session:
VEC’s are required by the FCC to submit your FRN with your license application form. Please register your SSN with the FCC before exam day. Once you have the FCC issued FRN, you may no longer use your SSN on the application. For instructions on how to register your SSN with the FCC and receive your FRN, visit the FCC Registration instructions page.
- One legal photo ID (identification):
- State Driver’s License
- Student School Photo ID card
- If no photo ID is available, two forms of identification are required. Acceptable identification may be any two (2) of the following:
- If you currently hold an Amateur Radio License, bring a photocopy of your current Amateur Radio license, a reference copy printed out from the FCC website, or the license information printed from ARRL website or QRZ website,
- If you have previously taken the exam for any class of license, bring the original(s) and photocopy(s) of the Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. A copy will be retained by the VEC.
- Two (2) number two pencils with erasers and a pen.
- A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed. NO PHONE CALCULATORS
- A check made out to the ARRL VEC, a money order, or cash to cover the exam session fee(s). The exam fee is $15.00 for each exam, $5.00 for youth under 18 years old.
An additional fee of $35 will be collected by the FCC effective April 19, 2022. The $35 application fee will be paid directly to the FCC by using the CORES FRN Registration system (CORES - Login). When the FCC receives the examination information from the VEC, it will email a link with payment instructions to each successful candidate who then will have 10 calendar days from the date of the email to pay.
After the fee is paid and the FCC has processed an application, examinees will receive a second email from the FCC with a link to their official license. The link will be good for 30 days.
The $35 application fee will be reimbursed by check to the fee-payer for any candidates younger than 18 years old per the ARRL Youth Licensing Grant program, effective April 19, 2022.
TIP: to create a printer-friendly version of this page, click the printer icon on the top right of this page.